I treated myself to a movie today- my first with Elliot. I saw "There Will Be Blood" at Angelika's Cry Baby Matinee. There's not much redeeming about the film in that the bad guy stays a bad guy to the end. True to the film description, the movie is about "family, greed, religion, and oil, centered around a turn-of-the-century [oil] prospector in the early days of the business." [imdb] The cinematography is striking, the acting is superb, the story is well timed- but what struck me as the film's best attribute was the score. Jonny Greenwood, the musician who scored the film, used music to hold suspense in scenes that conventionally would have had sleepy music or none at all. It was a cross between Kronos and Radio Head and a typical thriller score. The music keep me thinking something exciting or tragic was about to happen, even during mundane moments. Unfortunately, Daniel Day-Lewis has now type-casted himself in my mind as a mean bastard thanks to this film and "Gangs of New York". I can see why critics loved this film.

0 comments:

Followers

Contributors

Blog Archive

Search This Blog