In the last couple days, Josh has picked up a new suckling techniche wherein he somehow bites my nipple. This of course results in a gasp and a yelp from me. Sometimes this happens when he gets hyper and distracted and starts turning his head away then back on again. It's as if he's telling his feet and legs that he's eating and will play with them later. But he'll do this repeatedly. If I try to put things away and lift him to burp, he complains he wasn't done yet. ah-vay!

This brings up a lingering fear of mine. Being that Rusty and I are both hyper people (he's ADD, I'm hyperactive), I would be shocked if Joshua doesn't become hyper as well. He was hyper in utero always kicking me and moving around. Now he's still always kicking and moving around. When I've tried to feed him in public, he waves his arms and kicks his feet making it nearly impossible to be discreet. Having a hyper child comes a certain type of parenting style in order to maintain control and prevent drugs. I've done some reading on parenting techniques for hyper children. I think we'll be able to handle him when he gets older by offering rewards for good behavior and timeliness, helping him break down difficult tasks into manageable steps, being specific about expectations and staying consistent. But what to do with a hyper baby and toddler may take some new strategy. Sometimes I think he'll walk before he crawls at the rate he's going.

It's a funny concept. I still don't feel like a parent although I obviously am one. I still think of myself as the same ol' Sarah now with baby. My perception of parents are the people who are always managing the house and constantly repeating things like "Don't do that, sit down, stop that, what did I tell you?, come here, come here, come here, stop that, be quiet, don't do that, come here, what did I tell you?, stop that, be quiet..."

0 comments:

Followers

Contributors

Blog Archive

Search This Blog